Monthly Archives: May 2012

Foam Latex Runs

Once I had the 3 part mould of the faun sculpt I could start to do some practice foam runs to get the final foam latex prosthetic piece. I haven’t worked with foam latex for around a year now so I was eager to get back into it. I was also going to be doing these foam runs alone so I was a bit apprehensive at first but after the first run I was confident working quickly and independently with the foam latex.

The first test piece came out quite well in the detail however the foam had not quite reached all of the areas of the mould so the mouth peice was quite deformed and missing a significant amount. The first couple of attempts that I did were by using the injection method which I had not done before so it allowed to to experiment and gain experience in a new skill.

  

The second run that I did came out a lot better but was still missing the same area around the mouth so I decided that the next time I would do a press mould so that I could be certain that the foam latex would get the whole of the sculpt piece. The press mould piece came out really well and though it had a small air bubble and an area that deflated slightly it was definitely the best so far, the blemishes could be easily repaired and the piece would be fit for use.

  

I will continue to make foam latex pieces until I have 3 completely successful runs, this will give me one for the studio shoot, one for the location shoot, and one for the exhibition piece.

Advertisements

Moulding the Second Horn

The second horn had to be moulded differently to the first horn because the amount of TinSil used to create the first mould was too much to be cost effective. After considering a lot of different ideas and methods I eventually decided to separate the tip of the horn where it starts to twist back on itself and mould that part separately in a small amount of silicon and mould the main body in 3 parts in fibreglass.

For the tip of the horn I simply separated it from the rest as it stated to curve under. I then re-sculpted slightly to make sure it still re-attached neatly, and secured the tip to a wire frame and suspended it above a container, allowing a space at the bottom for the silicon to flood below it. I flooded the container with silicon and allowed to cure overnight before demoulding.

 

For the body of the horn I built walls along the 3 part divides and fibre-glassed it the same as for the make-up sculpt. I left a hole at the tip of the body to allow a gap to four in the expanding foam when I cast it later. Once all the parts had cured, I neatened the edges and drilled bolt holes before de-moulding and cleaning the mould for use.