Monthly Archives: January 2012

Finishing the Faun Sculpture

I am now working on adding the last of the fine detail and texture, and refining the overall sculpture. I have added a downy fur divide between the tip and the bridge of the nose to help define the two textures. I have also tried to give the bottom half of the face and the bridge of the nose a hard weathered skin texture.

I have been drawing inspiration from photos of goats, nature, and also human skin. I have incorporated a furry goat texture on the ears, added wrinkles to the eye area very similar to how humans develop wrinkles and cracked and split the horn stumps to look as though the horns are growing from them like a tree.

The texture is a lot more prominent now and I feel that it defiantly helps to finish the look of the faun and add believability to the overall appearance.

    

Advertisements

Finishing the Horn Sculptures

I have now started to add the final touches to the horns. I’ve been adding a more weathered texture to the sides of the horns and cracks and splits along the ridges. I don’t want to add too much texture to the horns because I want them to have a very smooth and shiny finish so that they look healthy and strong. I have also been adding more texture to the tree aspect of the horns, making it look more like bark and roots.

 


Adding Texture to The Faun

Now that I have finished blocking out and shaping the face and I am happy with the overall appearance  I have started to add texture and fine detail. The original Faun design does not have much major detail so at first I was quite cautious with how much I put onto my design.

  

However my tutor advised me that it looked unfinished and that the foam latex would not pick up all of the detail so I stated to add more. I also added some completely new textures to my design that are not in the original to help distinguish it and as part of the character development and ageing process.

   


Adding Colour to the Bark Appliances

Once the gelatine and latex pieces were completely dry, clean, and powdered I could start colouring them ready for application. I wanted to try different ways of colouring to see the difference in finish. I coloured a few with alcohol based airbrush pigment and some with greasepaint applied with brush and sponge.

Airbrush

These are some of the pieces that I coloured with my airbrush. I really like the smooth blended finish and the effect of the shading but I am not particularly confident with the airbrush and could not apply any fine detail. Because the paint is alcohol based it is very durable and wont rub off or run in water.

 

Greasepaint

These are some of the pieces that I coloured with greasepaints. I found it a lot easier because I was very familiar with the materials and working with sponges and brushes. However I don’t think that the finish looks as professional, and it needed a lot of powder to set the paint which affects the final look. It is also a lot more fragile because greasepaint will rub off quite easily and will need frequent touch ups.

 


Adding Detail to the Horns

Now that I have finished blocking out the overall shape and general detail of the horn I can start to add the fine detail and also start experimenting with adding the natural branch style elements to it.

I started by building up the inside of the end of the horn to look as though a branch or small tree trunk is growing underneath the horn. From this I split the very tip of the horn and added small shoots growing from the inner tree between the edges of the horn. I made this more prominent and developed on the larger of the two horns to show that this horns is faster growing and further developed than the other one.

Once I had the right general shape to the branch element of the horn I started to add in some texture and fine detail. I wanted the wood parts to have the look and feel of natural real wood but at the same time I wanted it to blend in well with the horn texture and look like a natural/gradual shift. I used a similar method of creating texture and detail as I used on the rest of the horn.

 


Sculpting Take 2

After removing most of the clay from my original sculpt so that I could rebuild it on a fibreglass skull cap, I have started to block out the shape again. Because I only had to remove the clay up to the jaw line I could use the remaining clay as a guideline for the general shape and symmetry. I have found that it looks quite different to before however I prefer it now as I think it looks younger and more animal like, and more like my original sketches.

I have slightly altered the mouth, extending the lips and building up the upper lip. I have also made the forehead more prominent and changed the shape and layout of the eyes slightly.

  


Goats

I have been researching goats to aid my sculpting and character design. I visited “Birdworld” to get some photos of farm goats and to look at them up close. I looked at their horns, ears, eyes and noses in particular as well as general face shape and structure.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.